UMKC, one of four of the University of Missouri campuses, is a doctoral research-intensive public university offering traditional and interdisciplinary programs and serving approximately 14,500 students. The University is well positioned to address the demands of the times in a dynamic city that deserves and requires the benefits that accrue from a strong public university.
The University of Missouri-Kansas City has a broad and inclusive educational mission with specific emphasis in three areas: visual and performing arts, health and life sciences, and urban affairs. UMKC's unique profile includes the College of Arts and Sciences, University College, and Schools of Education, Nursing & Health Studies, Henry W. Bloch School of Management, Medicine, Law, Computing and Engineering, Biological Sciences, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and the Conservatory of Music and Dance.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity and multiculturalism and strives to create a welcoming environment where faculty and staff feel valued for their contribution. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the University.
UMKC is proud to be one of this region’s premier institutions of higher education. Our people are the most valuable asset in our quest to become a model urban research university with signature graduate and professional programs and active engagement in our city and throughout the region. For information about UMKC, please visit our Statement of Values page.
The School of Computing and Engineering is looking for a Research Engineering Technician I and Research Engineering Technician II. The Caruso Research Group at UMKC seeks qualified candidates for the position of Research Engineering Technician I (RETI). In this role, the successful candidate will support multiple aspects of R&D needs of the counter unmanned aerial vehicle group. The ideal candidate should have a record of demonstrated ability to assist and solve complex engineering problems; a willingness to learn new methods, systems, and technologies; strong self-motivation; the ability to work independently as well as on a team; and, capability to execute on parallel assignments according to aggressive deadlines, while maintaining safety as top priority.
- Performing highly complex/skilled work in designing, constructing, installing, and/or repairing of technical equipment and components;
- Installation/commission, preventative maintenance, and troubleshooting of scientific equipment and instruments;
- Use manual and/or CNC mill/lathe or other machine shop equipment to provide rapid-turnaround prototypes when main shop delivery is inadequate for program deadlines;
- Provide a timely response to the needs of ongoing work, related assemblies design, and implementation;
- Professional interactions with students and peers through verbal and written communications;
- Communicating timelines and project updates to the team;
- Meeting with staff and faculty to discuss design and operation of parts and systems;
- Plotting, summarizing, transferring, and organization of experimentally collected data, as requested;
- Continuous professional development and ability to complete required training;
- Keeping inventories and records of parts and instrument histories;
- Organize and maintain machine shop and research areas;
- Implementing solutions for operational and technical needs of research activities;
- Procuring materials, parts, and instruments in alignment with research/project goals;
- Maintaining a safe and secure work environment.
Research Engineering Technician I
An Associate's degree or an equivalent combination of education and at least 1 year of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
Research Engineering Technician II
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
Salary and Benefits
UMKC offers a competitive salary, affordable medical and dental plans (no waiting periods), 403(b) savings plan, and University paid long-term disability and life insurance benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at www.umkc.edu/jobs.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a Criminal Background Check prior to beginning employment.